About Hospital Accountability Project
Citizens Action Coalition Education Fund (CACEF) and Indiana Legal Services, (ILS)
worked on the Hospital Accountability Project (HAP) in Marion County.
The project’s goal was to ensure that non-profit hospitals in Indiana earn the tax breaks they receive by providing an adequate amount of financial assistance/charity care to underinsured and uninsured citizens.
HAP focused on Marion County non-profit hospitals: IU Health, St. Francis Hospital, Community Hospitals of Indianapolis, and St. Vincent Hospital Indianapolis.
HAP looked for individuals and families in Marion County who have been affected by hospital debt to participate in this project.
There were a number of ways to get involved:
- Complete a HAP survey.
- Attend community meetings.
- Work with the HAP team as a "community leader".
- Share information with others in your community.
- Reviewed Indianapolis area Hospital Charity Care policies.
- Identified "best practices" in charity care.
- Provided opportunities for residents to share experiences with the health care system and learn how to advocate for positive change.
- Sponsor workshops focused on helping those with hospital or health care debt better manage their personal situation and become agents for change. Some participants may qualify for free legal assistance.
- Developed community leaders to work towards better charity care policies in Indianapolis.
Click here for the 2013 final survey findings report.
Read both of the HAP Reports on Medical Debt in Indianapolis here:
The Medical Debt Crisis in Indianapolis: A Snapshot
The Medical Debt Crisis in Indianapolis: A Closer Look
In the News
06/23/11: (Nuvo) Patients drowning in debt, aid policies fail
06/23/11: (IndyStar) St. Francis' charity care is criticized; Project rates practices worst in county, calls for investigation
06/22/11: (WIBC) Watchdog Group: Hospitals Should Expand, Publicize Charity Care
06/22/11: (IBJ) Groups call for probe of St. Francis hospital over charity care
06/22/11: HAP releases second report on The Medical Debt Crisis in Indianapolis
07/27/10: HAP in the IndyStar
07/27/10: HAP releases results of citywide survey project (Press Release).
07/27/10: HAP posts results of survey project to web.