About Hospital Accountability Project
Citizens Action Coalition Education Fund (CACEF) and Indiana Legal Services, (ILS)
are working on a Hospital Accountability Project (HAP) in Marion County.
The project’s goal is to ensure that non-profit hospitals in Indiana earn the tax breaks they receive by providing an adequate amount of financial assistance/charity care to underinsured and uninsured citizens.
HAP is focusing on Marion County non-profit hospitals: IU Health, St. Francis Hospital, Community Hospitals of Indianapolis, and St. Vincent Hospital Indianapolis.
HAP is looking for individuals and families in Marion County who have been affected by hospital debt to participate in this project.
There are a number of ways to get involved:
- Complete a HAP survey - available at local organizations, online (Click here to take the survey) or by calling Lindsay Helmbock at 317-735-7744.
- Attend community meetings.
- Work with the HAP team as a "community leader".
- Share information with others in your community.
The project will:
- Review Indianapolis area Hospital Charity Care policies.
- Identify "best practices" in charity care.
- Provide opportunities for residents to share experiences with the health care system and learn how to advocate for positive change.
- Sponsor workshops focused on helping those with hospital or health care debt better manage their personal situation and become agents for change. Some participants may qualify for free legal assistance.
- Develop community leaders to work towards better charity care policies in Indianapolis.
Take the survey!
For more information, or to get involved, please call Lindsay Helmbock at 317-735-7744 or email email@example.com
In the News
06/23/11: (Nuvo) Patients drowning in debt, aid policies fail
06/23/11: (IndyStar) St. Francis' charity care is criticized; Project rates practices worst in county, calls for investigation
06/22/11: (WIBC) Watchdog Group: Hospitals Should Expand, Publicize Charity Care
06/22/11: (IBJ) Groups call for probe of St. Francis hospital over charity care
06/22/11: HAP releases second report on The Medical Debt Crisis in Indianapolis
07/27/10: HAP in the IndyStar
07/27/10: HAP releases results of citywide survey project (Press Release).
07/27/10: HAP posts results of survey project to web.